Saturday, January 9, 2016

Recipe: Coconut Skor Gourmet Caramel Apples (Contains Nuts!)


Finished product, waiting to be cut into sweet heavenly slices!
 So it doesn't exactly fit with the theme of the blog- but I'm hoping to change that. This is the first recipe I've posted, I think... and hopefully I'll add a few more. Maybe I'll get the hang of it and streamline future recipes so they aren't one big impossibly long ramble like this one! :P

This gourmet caramel apple recipe is specific and is finely tuned to my family's tastes. I could give you an infinite list of potential topping possibilities- but I'm going to give my readers the credit you deserve and assume that you could figure out how to substitute things like peanuts for yourselves. I've tried many different toppings. I'm kind of an expert of sorts now... I recently made my partner one with white chocolate coating the caramel, rolled in smashed Oreo's at the base, and drizzled in a melted cookies and cream chocolate bar. However, this Skor one remains my absolute favorite.

What I love about these apples is that we really don't have to deal in exact measurements. I just wing it. Try to have extra ingredients on hand just in case! If you're a person who takes comfort in measurements, I'm sorry. I'll try to offer you some numbers but I've been eyeballing these and haven't a head for measurements. My recipe may be a mess- and that means it's something children are sure to enjoy helping with!

You will need:

  • 6 small-medium sized Granny Smith apples (I usually end up with about 4 finished caramel apples- but that can vary...)
  • 2 packages of individually wrapped caramels (around 180g a package) 
  •  1-2 tbsp milk or milk substitute (I use table cream usually)
  • 1 package of Hershey's Skor Chipits
  • 1 1/2 cups of coconut (I use a mixture of 1/2 flaked and 1/2 sweetened shaved coconut)
  • 1/2 cup of peanuts, smashed (I use salted because I like the salt with the caramel)
  • a couple pinches of pecan pieces to mix in the with peanuts
  • a couple pinches of mini candy covered chocolate chips - rainbow to mix with peanut pecan blend
  • 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup of milk chocolate chips
  • sprinkles

Your tools:

  • A medium-large microwave safe bowl 
  • popsicle sticks
  • a brand new green dish scrubbie
  • a pot for boiling water, large enough to fit a few apples
  • 2 glass cups for melting chocolate chips inside the pot of water
  • a couple of spoons
  • a couple large plates
  • a small bowl (I sometimes use a 1 cup measuring cup)
  • some wax or parchment paper
Awaiting it's chocolate-drizzled destiny

So I begin by enlisting my mini-people to wash their hands thoroughly and remove the wrappers from the caramels... It is essential that you make children do this for you because: it's tedious work that you will grow to despise when you find yourself making these caramel apples constantly... because they are so delicious.  *Breathes*


While the kids "shuck" the caramel wrappers and place the caramels into my microwave safe Betty Crocker mixing bowl, I boil a pot of water and once it's ready I dunk two apples at a time into the pot and turn them. You don't want to cook the apple so you have to work quickly. (I accidentally cooked the apple once. My daughter actually preferred it... but maybe that's another recipe.) After a couple rotations when the wax is sure to have softened, remove the apple with tongs. Take the new, clean green dish scrubbie and scrub as much wax off of the green apple as possible. Even when you think there is no wax- there is always wax! So scrub it off or your caramel won't coat properly. I then rinse the apples in cool water and throw gently place them in the freezer for a few minutes to cool them down. Leave that pot of water. You'll need it later.

I clear off the counter and lay out a plate with a sheet of wax paper over it for the apples after they've been dipped. I also lay out a plate for toppings as well as a small bowl or 1 cup measuring cup, also for toppings. I find excuses to nibble on said toppings... Checking the freshness, quality control, etc.

Add a drizzle of milk or milk substitute onto the caramels. Maybe 2 tablespoons at the most. Microwave this at 1 minute increments, stirring frequently, until the caramel is melted and smooth. You may see some bubbles. That's okay. I let it hang out in the microwave to cool off slightly- but you don't want it too cool. In fact, I will re-nuke it for 30 seconds between apples just to keep it flowing.

Apple bottom dressed in peanut,
pecan, mini rainbow chip mixture 

Take your broken peanuts, pecans, and mini rainbow candy coated chocolate chips (what a mouthful!) and mix them up in either a small bowl or a 1 cup measuring cup. If you're using small apples the measuring cup should be perfect. If they're larger, opt for the bowl. This bowl is where you will dip the end of the apple opposite of the stick. I call it the bottom. It could be the top. I initially added the rainbow chips for colour but realized the chocolate bits is a nice way to break up the monotony of nuts- and it will compliment the chocolate drizzle at the other end of the apple. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

So your bowl is ready with your bottom toppings (bottom.. toppings... Kind of funny, no?)  Now take a plate (not paper!) and lay out a thick line of coconut across the plate, and an equally thick line of Skor Chipits (try not to eat yet. Just try! I dare you!) either below or above your coconut line. Depends on how you want your apple dressed. 

Make sure your apples are cool and dry and insert the sticks into the bottom. Make sure the stem and stickers are removed- duh. If you want to be extra productive you can melt your chocolate chips for drizzling at this point you can, but I typically roll my apples and then drizzle the chocolate later, after a cooling/Netflix period- so you'll find details on that chocolate drizzle step below.

Your toppings are ready, you've cleared room in the fridge for your plate of freshly dipped and rolled apples, your caramel is not too hot and not too cool, Goldilocks. Your apples have been impaled and you are ready to go!!

I hold my mixing bowl of caramel on a slight angle (this is probably usually information) so the caramel kind of pools to one side, and I dunk my apple into that deep caramelly goodness and I turn it slowly- but not like stupid slow. The slow turning helps evenly coat and apple and reduce the risk of bubbles in your caramel. I turn the apple as I bring it up out of the caramel. Sometimes you will need to gently remove excess from the bottom with a spoon. I then turn the apple upside-down (or apple side up) for a moment to help the caramel settle.

My rad diagram skills
Take the freshly coated apple and dunk it into the peanut-pecan-candy-coated-choco-chip mixture. If there's room in your bowl, kind of roll/tip the bottom edge of the apple for a good coating of toppings. Pull the apple straight out of the bowl. Voila! Now work quickly before your caramel sets. Roll it back and fourth all the way across the plate so it picks up your two lines of Skor & coconut. If you're not a rockstar in the '90s and the thought of doing two lines at once scares you, you can space the lines out and roll the apple over each topping line one at a time. Make sure there are no bald spots. You can press some toppings into an area that isn't well covered. Just work quickly!

Now your apple has been dunked and rolled, pop it onto the plate you prepared with wax or parchment paper and put it in the fridge while you work on the others. If you messed up a bit and you think there might be too much caramel and it's going to slip down the apple, try putting it in the freezer to slow that slippage down. Just don't leave it so long that the apple freezes! Oops.. That reminds me... BRB.  Looks like I will be adding a recipe for both cooked and frozen caramel apples later!

Now you can wait as long as you want (or skip this step entirely) but when and if you are ready you can put 1/3 cup of chocolate chips into one glass cup and 1/3 cup of white chocolate chips into another glass cup. Put them into your pot of boiling water. Add a tiny amount of milk... Let'em melt and stir them. I stir them with extra popsicle sticks because chocolate drizzle is a pain in the butt to scrub off of spoons.

Once your melted chocolate is nice and smooth and to a consistency that will drip, but isn't thin or watery, you are ready. I use a tablespoon with a slightly narrow end for each cup of chocolate. I've tried drizzling white on brown or brown on white and usually I opt for brown, then white. Don't forget to have your rainbow sprinkles ready. K... So I take a spoonful of chocolate and I pour it into the apple where the stick is inserted. It will drip down the apple naturally and you can guide it with careful pouring. I tend to do like an X pattern with the stick being in the center, then when I pour the white on I will do a Cross pattern, so basically alternating drips of brown chocolate and white chocolate. I scatter a pinch or two of sprinkles over that and I put them back in the fridge. 


Yum. Just... so much yum. 
Annnd we are FINISHED!  It is hard work, especially if you wanted to whip some up quickly on a whim. If you're anything like me you might consider it a labor of love. Take your time and take care and I promise you'll have something to be really proud of. They make great gifts- just make sure that person isn't allergic to any of the topping.


As a tip, I never eat these off of the stick. I cut them in slices- that way you're getting everything you're supposed to be tasting in each slice, as opposed to eating around the apple and only getting the coconut section, etc. Also, it's easier for the kids to manage slices, and that way they can share one, rather than eating the whole thing- because, let's face it- there's nothing healthy about an apple with this much bling on it.


Also, I have finally put the label maker Will got me to good use! I have always wanted one, for obvious reasons (the biggest one being that I'm freaking nuts) so I'm surprised it took me this long to play with it. This was my first mission:

Newly labeled baking goodies & photobombing ratty

 Feel free to comment on what topping combinations you would try instead, eg. My kids like to use Reese's Pieces Minis instead of the rainbow chocolate chips on their apples. Also, come back after trying the recipe and tell me if you loved them as much as I do!

Here's a quick recap: Scrub the wax off your green apples. Dunk and roll them in the melted caramel. Roll freshly coated apple through your toppings before the caramel hardens. Refrigerate to set. Melt chocolate and drizzle it over the apple. Add sprinkles. Refrigerate. Eat & become addicted. Blame me for your love handles :P

Tips: Use no name chocolate chips for better melting. You can break up whole nuts by putting them in a ziplock bag, pressing out air and sealing it, then carefully pounding (oxymoron!) the nuts to bits with practically anything heavy. I've successfully used a bacon press, a can opener, and a wine bottle (desperate times...  ;) Note: Don't try the bottle- It may break in your hands!)

Until next time,

-H.Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks darling <3