Sunday, June 13, 2010

Rhett's Return to the Splash Pad

Rhett had a playdate at the splash pad with his pal Conner today. I was a little nervous because last year he and an older child collided and blood was shed. Lots of blood. It was nearly the end of splash pad season, and we brought him back once more after the incident and he was terrified so we had to leave.

Today we packed up Rhett and Cailum, some sun screen, some Bactine (which came in handy when little Conner scraped his knee,) towels, changes of clothes, sandwiches, and of course diapers and wipers. We drive a crappy little Kia so Chad had to drop Rhett and I off to pick up our playdates.

Things looked bleak as Rhett squealed in horror when approaching the splash pad area of the park. I let him take the lead and explore the equipment until our friends arrived. He showed excellent initiative and independence. He decided what to do, and did not insist I walk him through it. I have Chad to credit for this progress.

It didn't take long before Rhett was sticking his hands and face in the water and screaming in excitement with the best of them. Has anyone noticed the fascination children have with putting their "junk" up against the water jets? Strange!

Rhett and Conner did collide but both parties were fine. The injuries tallied one each. Conner's bleeding knee, and Rhett's twisted ankle. Cailum bounced and giggled the day away in the shaded protection of his stroller. Our boys were the only two at the park sporting mohawks, which makes them the raddest of the children. To my knowledge, all three boys barely made it through dinner without passing out. It seems a good time was had by all, and hopefully we can do it again next week sometime.

I did notice some funny looks from a few children, mainly older girls. Generally the splash pad brings out the screaming animal in any child so Rhett's quirks go largely unnoticed. I saw him grasp the hand of another child, hug two children, and he seemed to take an interest in doing what Conner was doing on the play equipment.

Today was a proud day for me. My little man is progressing wonderfully! I also made a little friend. A little boy decided I looked like a most qualified water gun filler, and asked me to fill his gun four or five times. After the second time he promptly followed Rhett around, draining his water gun on his back. Irony! I help him fill his gun and he blasts away on my boy haha. Rhett was having far too much fun to even notice.

I take a moment to endorse Urban Decay's Eyeshadow Primer Potion, which I fully intend to review in more depth at a later date. I chose to wear bold and bright turquoise eyeshadow to match the straps of my bathing suit. I applied my makeup at about 10:00 am. I'm not sure what time we hit the splash pad. I would say 3 or 4. I was out in the sun sweating, chasing down Rhett, running through the water for about an hour and a half. By the time we left my makeup was still going strong. Only now at midnight do I notice that it has faded a bit.

Love this stuff!

-H. Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks darling <3