Sunday, June 6, 2010

Review: GOSH Eyeliners


First up is the GOSH Eye Liner Pen in Black. Chad bought me this after my liquid liner from The Body Shop ran out. I usually use MAC's Fluidline, but I go through liquid liner phases.

I love this, and will repurchase again and again. You can find it at Shoppers Drugmart. It's relatively inexpensive, and seems to last forever. I started using mine about a year ago, and it's almost empty now after nearly everyday use.

It is a dark rich black. The formula is smooth, dries quickly but gives you time to work with it a bit. It doesn't really fade a lot from application to the end of the day. It doesn't sweat off in the summer like some other liquid liners do. The applicator collects just the right amount of product, no wiping required. It is as good as any other built in applicator, maybe a bit better, and it does not tug the skin. It's a felt tip that has some give to it but is firm. When I apply this I hold the wand horizontally and press it into my lash line. Then I glide over it with my trusty MAC 266 angled brush to create the perfect straight line. I wear this all day, never touch up, and it washes off easily without the aid of makeup removers or cold cream.


Secondly, and much more fun, is GOSH's Extreme Art Eyeliner. This is very similar to MAC's LiquidLast Eyeliner. In fact, I don't notice so much of a difference, except that I prefer GOSH's Dragon Green shade to my similar MAC Greenplay. The difference is purely colour, however. In addition to Dragon Green, Chad also bought me the Deep Sea and Blue shades.

Like the MAC LiquidLast, I find this eyeliner to be a bit gooey, and chunky at times. You have to smooth it over immediately. I wish they could get these formulas more the consistency of paint! Once you get a handle on the application these look amazing. They have great colour payoff, and a flawless metallic look with a hint of duo-chrome. It is slow drying, but I see that as a plus because it gives you time to perfect it before it dries. Once it dries it will not budge! The real selling point on these is the lasting power. I can apply this before an evening out (when was the last time that happened? Ha!) and fall asleep with it on. It will still look fabulous in the morning.

I have a few problems with these. First of all, the applicator sucks. I use this the way I use any other wet liner. I paint a thin line on with the original applicator, then I glide across it with my beloved 266 angled brush.  The consistency of the formula- they are hard to use with other shadows or blend. You need to apply it last. If you put shadow over it it tends to muck it up. And the pro turned con... They last. They last a little too well and can be a challenge to remove. You will need a makeup remover. A face cleanser simply will not do the job.

Typically when I wear these I will apply an all-over shadow to the eye, a slightly thicker line of this along the lash line, and a thinner line of the GOSH Eye Liner Pen pushed right into the lash line. It's simple, but the liner itself makes it look like something special. I have read that these work great for the waterline, but the thought of the tacky formula tangling up in my lower lashes repels me. Perhaps when I am feeling adventurous I'll make an attempt.


 -H. Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks darling <3