Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Review: Lise Watier's 24hrs Glam Mascara


First I will say that I really wanted to love this mascara. It's such a neat and unique idea.

I wandered into my neighborhood Shoppers Drugmart with one thing on my mind. The legendary Diorshow Mascara. In fact, I had it in my hand when the sales associate made a most convincing case for this; Lise Watier's 24hrs Glam Mascara. I put down the Diorshow and went with this alleged innovation in chic urban packaging. I've always been a sucker for an animal print!

This mascara uses an elastic polymer formula, which surrounds each lash in a three dimensional waterproof film. Another selling point for me was the removal method. You must literally wet your fingers and gently pull the coating from your lashes, like little silicone casings. It just sounded neat, okay?

The brush style is trademarked as the "Flexi-Queen." The stick itself came out clean, unlike my L'Oreal Telescopic Explosion mascara, which is caked in product and extremely messy. This was a big plus for me. The end of the brush had a little excess product, but you have to expect that with a brand new mascara. My second thought was that this style brush was not going to do much for me. One side for length, one for volume, in other words- one was flattish and prickly, the other being long and spiky. It was great for the bottom lashes, as most straight brushes with little "teeth" are, but as far as curling and building the upper lashes- NADA.

The consistency of the formula was wet and thin, almost gliding over the lashes like ink. It was hard to build this up, and letting it dry between coats is a bad idea! This resulted in a spidery look that flaked throughout the day. Whether fault of the formula or the brush, I had trouble combing it through my lashes evenly. The formula was sticky but actually did not clump, which is always a plus.

The biggest cons to this mascara were that the finish was dull, not glossy. It photographed with a flat, almost white powdered effect which I did not appreciate. It smelled like rubber, a fact I wouldn't think twice about if it had been half as soon a mascara as I'd hoped, and of course the $20.00 CAD price tag.

In the beginning I did believe that I liked this. After not too long I found myself reaching back to other older mascaras to avoid using this one. Eventually I came to the realization that it just didn't do the job.

If you like the sounds of the waterproof polymer formula, prefer a mascara with this brush type, and have lashes that could use lengthening but not necessarily volume- you might want to give this a try anyway. Some people do like it, but honestly I've seen more bad reviews than good. If you can find it on sale, even better, right? I've heard it was packaged with two other eye products for just $23.00, but I haven't seen this deal anywhere. The decision is yours to make!

-H. Cat

2 comments:

  1. nothing beats diorshow honey! nothing! i just got dior extase as a present for myself for my bday. don't do it, i should return it, but i am too lazy. if you can't get diorshow, the next best thing is covergirl in the orange tube. imo...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard tons of good things about that orange CoverGirl one as well. I'll probably check it out... After I finally pick up DiorShow. I keep coming home with something else. No more!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks darling <3